What are compression socks?
Compression socks are the tight-fitting and stretchy stockings that are designed to improve the circulation in veins. They are often prescribed by a medical professional but anyone can wear them for the required comfort during pregnancy, long work days, traveling, exercise and many other situations.
According to some studies, wearing compression socks is a good way to start with a healthier life. These socks provide strong pressure to the upper calf of your legs and much-needed support that your legs need to work during different situations. You can wear compression socks on a regular basis and even match them with your daily outfit. For example, you can buy black compression socks or any colored stockings that go well with your dress.
How Compression Socks can Benefit you?
Even if you are trying the compression socks for the first time, there is no harm to it. Still, it is suggested to consult a doctor to clear all your doubts regarding compression socks.
The compression socks are likely to benefit you in a number of ways.
- If you have an issue of blood clotting or family history of DVT, compression socks can be very helpful. There are fewer chances of you developing DVT or swelling with compression stockings.
- The compression socks can help reduce the swelling, pain, and discomfort that you may experience due to varicose veins or ulcers on the leg.
- You can even consider wearing compression socks during long flights. This is because sitting for too long in a compressed space can increase the risk of blood clots. So, if you wear compression socks during air travels, there are less chances of you developing blood clots, swelling or DVT.
- Compression socks are of great benefit for the athletes. For their best performance, it is important for every sportsperson to stay safe from muscle soreness or swelling. The compression stockings can reduce muscle soreness and help athletes be at the best of their physical performance.
- Pregnant women often experience swollen feet. But, the use of compression socks during the pregnancy can help in reducing the swelling by increasing the blood flow.
The compression socks are not only comfortable to wear but they are highly fashionable too. These socks are very durable and available in different styles and colors including pink, white or black compression socks at Amazon. Isn’t it cool to have socks that not only add to your style but also make you feel good?
Types of Compressions Socks
There are mainly three types of compression stockings available.
- Graduated Compression Stockings
- Anti-Embolism Stockings
- Non-medical Support Hosiery
Graduated Compression Socks
These types of socks are the perfect option for people who suffer from chronic venous disease and edema. The level of compression is highest at the ankle and it decreases as the socks are pulled up. Well, patients with chronic venous disease and edema may find it difficult to move and carry out their daily living activities with ease. The graduated compression socks allow easy mobility and provide comfort to the people that they need to spend their daily lives with ease. Moreover, these types of socks are designed to meet particular medical specifications.
You also have an option to choose from below knee length stocking or thigh and waist-length compressions stockings. The below-knee length stockings are suggested to people with peripheral edema or lower leg swelling. Whereas the full-length stockings that can go up to thigh or waist can reduce the risk of orthostatic hypotension and prevent pooling of blood in the legs.
When buying compression socks, you can also consider different features such as your favorite color, pattern, style, open or closed-toe.
Anti-Embolism Compression Stockings
If you or any of your loved one has Deep Vein Thrombosis, then anti-embolism compression stockings are just the right option. They not only reduce the risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) but also provides gradient compression, unlike the other stockings. These types of stockings are specially designed for people who cannot move or are completely bedridden.
Non- medical Support Hosiery
Non-medical support Hosiery is basically the elastic support stockings, also knowns as the flight socks. These types of stockings ate suggested to people who travel regularly for hours or have long work days, which usually results in tiredness and heavy pain in the legs. The non-medical support hosiery help provide the much-needed support to the legs and reduces pain and suffering.
The compression is uniform, which is usually less than the graduated compression socks. You can easily purchase the non-medical support hosiery from any medical shop or even online.
However, if you find it difficult to choose the right type of compression stockings. You can always consult a medical professional. He/she will provide you the right guidance and help you choose suitable compression socks according to your medical needs.
Get The Most From Compression Socks During Long Work days
Are you working on your feet all day long? Do you often feel tired or your legs start paining by the end of the day? Well, most of the jobs may require you to work for long hours, whether sitting or standing. This makes blood circulation difficult, which can result in swelling, discomfort, pain in the legs, and fatigue. In such a situation, you can always consider having black compression socks. Now, why only black colored socks?
Well, there is no hard and fast rule that you only have to wear black compression socks. It totally depends on your personal choice of colors and style. But, one cannot go wrong with a black color because it goes well with any outfit or dress. You can confidently carry the black compression socks with any of your office outfits be it a formal shirt or skirt. Coming back to the topic, here’s how compression socks can prove to be helpful during the long workdays.
- The compression socks help improve the blood circulation and keep your legs energized. Talk about any industry or company, all of them need you on your feet working all day long for them. This may provide strain on your legs which can further result in blood clots and swelling. Moreover, industries like healthcare and finance may require you to wear the proper uniform. So, no one is likely to see the socks that you are wearing underneath the uniform. Once you start wearing compression socks to work, you will experience less pain and tiredness at the end of the day.
- If you are at an office job that requires you to sit or stand for long hours, then you can definitely make the most from compression socks. Regular office attire can be boring but you can experiment with it by adding stylish and colorful compression socks to your daily outfit.
- The compression socks are available in a variety of styles and color options for both men and women. You can find socks with stripes, patterns, and different designs. So, apart from availing medical benefits, you can style your daily wardrobe with stylish and comfortable compression socks.
- What else you want apart from feeling good and active at the end of your work day? Rather than relying on painkillers and different medicines daily, you can enjoy a comfortable life with these compression stockings. You can get back to your favorite pair of heels or shoes for a fun night out without worrying about swelling or feet pain anymore. Overall, you can enjoy a good quality of life with compression socks.
Apart from this, there are many other reasons why you should consider wearing compression socks. Have a look at a few of them.
- You exercise daily
If you exercise regularly, then you must get a pair of compression socks. It will not only reduce the soreness of the muscles but also help with post-exercise recovery.
- You are a regular traveler
As mentioned above, compression socks are of great benefit for the people who travel for hours. Sitting for too long in a flight can cause pooling of blood in the legs and even increases the risk of developing Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). The compression socks can help you stay at ease while you travel and also prevent blood clots. You will feel fresh, comfortable, and active as you arrive at your destination after a long flight.
- You love stylish socks
Compression socks are available in a variety of styles and colors. You can choose from black compression socks to one with unique designs and patterns. So, whether you are heading for a business meeting or you are advised by a healthcare professional, good quality compression socks can serve your purpose.
Compression Socks – How Do They Actually Work?
Compression socks or stockings are designed to improve the circulation of blood in pregnant women, athletes, daily travelers, elderly and anyone who is in need of some support and comfort. The compression socks are made from a strong elastic material that fits tightly to your leg to provide the required support. This helps reduce swelling, risk of clots, and pain in the legs.
Most of the time, the compression socks are custom made according to the particular medical needs or requirements of the person. A medical professional will provide you the right compression socks with suitable pressure and just the right measurements. It is suggested to wear compression socks all day long if you are at work or traveling somewhere. One should only remove these socks during bedtime.
Apart from improving the circulation of the blood, there are many other benefits that one can avail by wearing compression socks. These types of socks ease pain, provide comfort, support, and prevent swelling in the legs.
The compression socks are basically prescribed to people with poor blood circulation or severe lymph edema. These socks can also speed up the post-surgical recovery for edema, ulcers, varicose veins, spider veins, and Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). Even if you had a previous blood clot, you can consider compression socks to prevent any more blood clots in the future. Athletes, basketball players, and all other sports person use compression socks to improve their endurance and overall physical performance.
How To Use Compression Socks In The Right Way?
At Amazon, compression socks are available in a variety of styles, designs, and fabrics. You also have an option to choose from a knee-length to thigh-high compression socks. However, if you are unsure about which one to choose, it is always suggested to consult a medical professional. For example, if you recently had surgery or you need them to prevent DVT, a doctor can advise you which length of compression socks will work best for you.
One of the major tasks can be getting these compression socks on. Since, they are too tight, pulling them up the right place can be a bit difficult, especially if you have chosen thinner stockings. So, the fabric is an important thing that you must consider when buying compression socks. If it is for medical purposes, then you must look for a good quality fabric that can serve your purpose.
If you are facing trouble wearing compression socks, you can put a little cornstarch powder on your legs and try wearing the socks. You can also find a stocking donner that can help you put the compression socks with ease without bending. This is a perfect medical gadget for people suffering from back pain and finds it difficult to wear stockings. The stocking donner can help you pull up your socks easily without much efforts.
For How Long You Have To Wear The Compression Socks?
Depending on your needs and medical requirements, you can wear the compression socks all day long or only for a few hours. However, it is always a good idea to consider the doctor’s advice when it comes to wearing compression socks. Considering your injury or medical condition, some doctors will advise you to only take off the compression socks before going to bed.
When buying compressions socks, make sure –
- The socks fit properly. They are available in different sizes, ranging from size S to XL allowing you to choose the perfect fit.
- Follow the expert’s guidelines carefully on how to put on and remove the compression socks.
- If you are wearing the compression socks for medical purposes, you should always follow the doctor’s advice carefully for quick and better results.
- If you experience any changes in the skin when you wear compression socks, get in touch with the doctor immediately.
How to Buy the best Compression Socks?
Wearing compression socks or stockings are one of the easiest and effective ways to get rid of swollen feet and pain in the legs. But once you start shopping for compression socks, you will come across a number of options to choose from. The compression socks are available in a variety of styles and color options. So, how to choose the best of all? Here is the answer.
- Consider the fitting
Just like any other dress, it is important that the compression socks fit your legs properly. The stockings should be tight enough to provide your muscles with the required pressure. These socks are tight at the ankle and gradually loosens up at the knee. Since no two bodies are the same. So, the size of the compression socks depends on the person’s specific measurements.
The compressions socks are available in different size options from small to extra large. However, if you are not sure about your size, you can consult the doctor or pharmacist to know what size compression socks will fit you right.
- Ensure the socks are medical grade
This is one of the important things that you need to consider if you are buying the product online. When going through the specifications, make sure to look for the word “medical grade”. If the brand or company doesn’t specify the word medical grade with the product carefully, then you won’t get the quality that you are looking for.
- Know the right Levels
The tightness of the compression socks depends on the range of millimeters of mercury (mmHg). 8-15 mmHg is the lowest level range while the highest is 30-40 mmHg. It is important for you to know about the right levels of compression socks that you need. For example, if you need compression socks to provide support to your legs daily during work, then socks with levels 8-15 or 15-20 mmHg can work well for you. However, to treat the symptoms of vein disease, doctors will prescribe you compression socks of level 20-30 mmHg minimum.
- Look for the right style
Make sure to choose the right style of compression socks or stockings. The different style options include thigh-highs, knee-highs, and hose. Depending on your needs or as prescribed by the doctor, choose the right and best suitable style for compression socks.
- Go through the Reviews
If you are buying compressions socks online, make sure to go through the online reviews posted by the customers. This is one of the best ways to judge the quality of the product of any brand or style.
Apart from the aforementioned few things, you must check the current price of the socks and ask the insurance company if they cover the cost of your compression socks. Most of the insurance companies will cover the cost of some specific styles such as those which are used for post-recovery treatment.
Whether you are an athlete, a regular traveler or working for long shifts, it is suggested that you should start wearing compression socks to provide better support to your legs and reduce the risk of tissue damage. These socks will have little or no effect on your performance and you can start living your life without any painkillers or regular doctor visits.